Saturday 11 October 2008

Lights, camera, traction!

It took us around 2 and a half hours to buy washing powder today. Just one annoyance about living without a car. One small, half hour job now involves a good half hour walk, a walk which involves passing through three car showrooms (funnily enough), the usual stroll around the supermarket and then the walk back home. Whilst at the car showrooms we did stop to have a quick look around and were immediately set upon by one of the salesmen. Car salesmen always seem so desperate. He started off by showing us a Kia Ceed and started going on about CSI and Law and Order. When he discovered that neither Ka or myself watched it, he then went on to talk of the Olympics and how Kia had sponsored part of the games. Finding Ka and myself again unimpressed he then moved off trying desperately to find something in common with us. We proved a hard sell. I think I actually witnessed his little heart sink when we finally excused ourselves. Not wanting to look like a complete b**ta** I did ask for his card, just to provide him with a faint glimmer of hope for maybe sometime in the future. Can't seem to find it now... Overall it was a fairly pleasant walk however, with the autumnal colours all around in the sunlight from the clear blue sky. There was a fair bit of wind though and not only from the weather conditions.
Last night's beers from the Early Learning Unit Charity Race Night are to blame which Ka and myself attended alongside Chaz, Mum and Dad. The races involved sitting on a chair facing a wall at one end of a long floor with a horizontal stick in your hands attached by string to a small wooden horse ornament positioned at the opposite end of the floor behind you. On the blow of the whistle you then had to wind the string around the centre of the stick, pulling the string up from under your chair thusly pulling the horse ornament along the floor behind you. Good wrist exercise. On entering the hall I was volunteered for the first race along with Chaz and four other girls. Unfortunately Chaz managed to win the race but only just as I was a very close second. This win made Chaz part of the Champions Race at the end of the night when he turned out the be the close second. Ka won her race in the ELU nursery race against other representatives from the other rooms within her work making her the Champion Jockey winning her the coveted ELU Challenge Trophy presented to her by her lordship herself, Carol, the boss. For some reason Ka does not regard this as a big deal however and has strenuously forbid me to put it on the living room shelf, above the television, for all visitors to see. However, I do have a photo of her receiving her illustrious prize so I ''l have to get down to the printers. We were less lucky with our raffle tickets though, only winning a twenty pound voucher for Dominoes Pizza. Not a place we frequent.
Last night I also uploaded my very first youtube video! Yes, I know, I'm ridiculously behind the times but there you go. The film is from up the Eiffel Tower in Paris on New Years Day.

Short and sweet, not to mention a bit on the wobbly side, but there are some nice shots of The Eiffel Tower's structure in there and some nice dancing lights. Not bad for my wee 5 mega pixel camera. Hopefully the first of many (or at least a few).

3 comments:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

Thanks for your post on my blog!

I have a similar mini movie from the Tower...taken in '07 I still haven't worked out how to upload it so you are a step ahead of me!

Miriam Vaswani said...

Ach, the camera work isn't all that dodgy. Though I wouldn't advise you to quit the day job :)

That charity race sounded surreal...big congrats to KA...was it in fact an actual event, or a vivid dream following an evening of substance misuse?

Michael Reid said...

Although it sounds like one of my vivid dreams it, in fact, was not.