Friday 12 December 2008

Don't look back in anger

Enjoyed Chris Moyles' show on Radio 1 this morning. On Friday morning he talks less and plays more, playing great tunes from years gone by, chosen by him and his team. Whilst driving to work I was pleasantly surprised when he played Sleeper?! The small, britpop band from the early to mid nineties fronted by the superbly beautiful Louise Wener (slightly unfortunate name there). My first ever proper gig back on the 26th May 1996. At least, I think that's when it was. The first of many, and the first visit to the Glasgow Barrowlands too. Chaz, Colin and myself being successfully crushed, battered and bruised in the rocking Glasgow crowd. It was absolutely mental and I'm pretty sure we were lucky to survive. The sheer pain involved I don't think has ever been surpassed at any gig since. U2 at Murrayfield in 1997 came close though. At the beginning of the Popmart gigs the band would march down an avenue cutting through the crowd, fencing off the fans at either side with waist high, metal barricades. My stomach was pressed up against one of these barricades by the 50,000 people behind me. Not pleasant. I'm surprised I did not crack a rib in that crowd as I managed to stay up against the front of that barricade for the majority of the concert, up ahead of the others who suffered behind. Great gig though considering it was a fairly middling point in U2's excellent career. It's about time we had some new material from them. Going back to Britpop, we heard yesterday Blur are getting back together again for some special gigs next year. Always liked Blur but for some reason opted for Oasis in my younger, foolish, days when the whole Blur v Oasis Britpop war was going on. When Blur grew more experimental with their tunes I definately started liked them more and more, their sound moving away from traditional Britpop and maneuvering into more electronic, atmospheric art rock with the '13' album and 'Think Tank'. Something Oasis have never done. They've stuck firmly to the good old strumming and whining routine most of the time. However, I have to admit to almost liking Oasis' new tunes that are getting the airplay at the moment. After 'What's the Story Morning Glory' I mostly lost interest with them, revisiting them briefly with the 'Heathen Chemistry' album a few years back but again, not paying much attention following that. A band that have had definite flashes of brilliance in their music over the years but have suffered terribly with ego problems. That was always a Manchester thing though wasn't it? The Stone Roses were the same. Egos the size of Manchester itself. Liking the new tunes from Snow Patrol and the excellent Killers. Not sure what the new Killers' Song lyrics are all about ('Are we human or are we dancers'?) but who cares, U2 and Oasis have got away with shoddier than that (not that the two of them are in any way alike). You'd have a field day in a shoddy lyrics competition with Oasis.

5 comments:

Rachel Jayne Stevenson/Rogers said...

i have defected to Radio 1 since Wossy was banned! It's much better than I remember it being back in the 80'S!

Michael Reid said...

It's not as bad as it used to be - I'm sure of it.

Colin Lorimer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Colin Lorimer said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog Michael.

I always liked both bands and the rather obvious contrived idea of the art school intelligentsia vs the working class street band. Although after Morning Glory, Oasis really had nothing left to say and I leant more towards Blur as, as you have mentioned they continued to experiment,grow and develop their sound.

I picked up(or more-so borrowed)Don't Believe The Truth album some time back and was saddened to hear the same old repetitive drone of everything previous -plus some added stolen riffs from other bands...

Blur reforming? Ah! Whatever - I'm quite enjoying Graham Coxon's solo stuff....

Scaramanga said...

I think that Shock of the Lightning is oasis best song since morning glory, but I agree oasis werent really as relevant after their second album. That sadly was the last breath of a somewhat promising resurgance of the music scene (for me anyways).

There were lots of awesome bands around then spiritualised being one good band never to really "make it"