Friday 10 April 2009

Fantastic fruititious delights

After a weird Cylon influenced dream I awoke this morning with a hangover. Particularly strange as I had not had one drop of alcohol last night. It was Ka's birthday and we had been in her Mum and Dad's house till half past eleven shouting at one another, throwing shoddily wrapped presents around the living room and eating small pieces of cake.
Before this we had been out for a McGarva family meal in the local restaurant/pub, Angels, in Uddingston, for which Ka and myself had arrived late, rushing up from Hamilton after seeing 'The Boat That Rocked' at the cinema. Another Richard Curtis movie, with his usual blend of comedy, slight drama, over the top characters and cheesiness. Easy going, fun, viewing. The music was great too. Perfect for a birthday flick.
At the house afterwards, our niece, Morgan was very much in control as always. Ka, Ka's Mum, Grace, and Colin, her brother, had prepared around ten presents for numerous games of pass the parcel, initially for the amusement of Morgan. However, as always with these things the, supposed, adults ended up getting rather involved in it all too. Angela, Ka's sister and Jillian, Colin's poor girlfriend, were all playing too. (When I say poor I am, of course, talking of her lack of experience in handling these McGarva family parties, nothing to do with her financial situation). After a particularly tough round which ended up with Ka's Dad, Dougie, and myself back to back in the middle of the living room floor, I walked away with a stunning plastic guitar thermometer. No expense spared for this game. Apparently the pound shop they got these gifts from had some great deals. Since Ka is staying off the cake and chocolate at the moment, Grace presented her with the biggest basket of fruit I've ever seen. Never before had I seen such a veritable feast of fantastic fruititious delights! A large basket wrapped up in paper and ribbons filled with strawberries, oranges, pears, melon, pineapple, plums and bananas to mention but a few. There were even fruits in it that I had previously suspected only to exist in science fiction tv. The Man from Delmonte himself may have even stepped back in amazement if he'd seen this particular birthday basket of colourful roughage. What was not accepted so well was my cutting and sharing out of the clown birthday cake. My slices were too small according to the McGarvas who mumbled complaints as I toiled in the kitchen. Dougie claimed it was just so I could take a bigger portion home. Not true, of course, as I may even have my own birthday cake once Sunday is upon us.

No comments: