Tuesday 19 January 2010

Marmite and the current king of comedy

Ka is out for dinner tonight so when I eventually get out of the office I'll be going home to an empty house. Brilliant. I'll be able to watch some decent telly (what I consider decent anyway - I suppose everyone has their own ideas!). For instance, at the moment I'm making my way through seven series, (yep, count 'em, seven) of Curb Your Enthusiasm. I finally got round to starting to watch this series around October time last year and have been chipping away through the series ever since. I love it. Some people hate it. I think it's just another of these tv programmes that is like Marmite - you love it or you hate it.
Incidentally I hate Marmite, it tastes like the scrapings of an unwashed grill. All the congealed bits of cheese, fat, bread and oil with the occasional burnt oven chip from the bottom of the oven thrown in for good measure. At least that's what I imagine the scrapings of an unwashed grill to taste like. I can't say I've ever tried it myself. Maybe that's the smell I'm thinking of more than the taste...
Anyway, Larry David is my king of comedy at the moment. I'm now on the fourth series and Larry has been asked to star in Mel Brooks' stage production of 'The Producers' with Ben Stiller. The relationship that's developing between Stiller and Larry is turning out to be the main draw for series four and is hilairious. The latest escapade being an accidental tooth pick in Ben Stiller's eye and Larry making a blind man dump his girlfriend for being ugly.
It sounds strange but for some reason I see some similarites between myself and Larry David's character in the series. Larry is forever accidentally putting his foot in it, inadvertantly offending people and/or getting into the strangest situations which all seem to snowball out of control. I have done all of the above on more than one occasion and am guilty of the occasional snowballing, opening my mouth before the head thinks. I've proably even done it at some point on this blog. Thankfully only a handful of you actually pay any attention to any of this, so it should be pretty safe for me here.
Actually, some of the guys in work have just realised they are occasionally featured on this here blog. Creamy Chicken John and DVD Andy have seemingly only just sussed that it is in fact themselves that I am mentioning when going on about the crazy and the weird of a routine day in S&UN. Okay, maybe crazy and weird are exaggerations... or maybe not. Today I was threatened by Mary Doll with a trip to the stationery cupboard on Friday. Apparently she'll wear her red bra. Gulp. Do you think that flume will still be in there?

No comments: