Monday 14 June 2010

Anything particularly amazing

What an great day! Ka and myself are off work for the week and we didn't do anything particularly amazing at all but it just felt great... does that make sense? Perhaps it's just the joys of not being in an office and simply spending time with my lovely wife... and the tv.
We both slept till 9am, not caring when we slept till. We had a marvellous breakfast in the form of Ka's cheesy scrambled egg but then almost fell asleep again watching Philip Schofield on the forever dreadful daytime tv. Saying that, 'This Morning' is not the worst of daytime tv, there's all those horrible bargain shows on the BBC channels and the horrifying woman panel show 'Loose Women' but, needless to say, I made sure the remote didn't even flick in that direction.
Going out we decided to take full advantage of the sunshine, and headed for the gym. On Saturday, lying on a beach in Ayr, I heavily burnt half my head and face. I woke up on Sunday morning, moaning, looking like a bad impression of Harvey (Two-Face) Dent from the Batman movies after the acid attack. The heat in the skin affected seems to tingle and burn everytime I venture outside or edge near a window so I was quite happy to avoid the sun for most of the day.
Spent an hour and a half in a quiet gym, which was something different in itself as we seemed to have the run of the place. Following this we then went for a swim in the club's pool, inadvertantly annoying some old ladies that obviously usually have the pool to themselves on a quiet Monday afternoon. How dare we swim in their club pool when there's only three free lanes. These ladies made a point of crossing lanes a few times, together with exaggerated splashing, as we swam the lengths. I splashed them back, growling with my burnt face.
We then came home and I attempted some gardening out in the front lawn before a bit of housework. All this hard work quite rightfully earned me some brownie points so I sat and watched the football. A rather unexciting Japan v Cameroon game, followed by the highlights from the Denmark/Holland game. Turning the channels after this I found an episode of Who Do You Think You Are? which centred on the wonderfully irascible Jeremy Paxman coming to terms with the fact he's half Scottish. His Great Grandmothers family, on his mothers side, grew up in the slums of Glasgow, just as I mother's side did and then emigrated to Canada just as my Gran and Granpa almost did.
After this I again flicked the channels to find an episode of the sixties cult classic 'The Prisoner' with the late, equally irascible, Patrick McGoohan. Then, dinner in the form of some superb tacos followed by the Italy v Paraguay game. Possibly the most football I've watched in one day ever. In fact, today was possibly the most tv I watched in one day, for a long time. However, I did somehow manage to fall asleep watching Italy. That was the dinner's fault though, not the football. Not that Ka had laced the tacos with sedatives or anything! I don't think she's that fed up with me yet... it's only Monday after all, she's still got another four days to go!

No comments: