Sunday 13 June 2010

Balloons and horns

Well, I think we can safely say Austrailia are out and Germany have proven themselves to be up for the fight to the semi finals of the World Cup. A great game to watch.... obviously not if your Austrailian mind. Now that their star player, Tim Cahill, is off after a dubious red card, I doubt they've got much of a chance in the group. But what do I know? I mostly only pay attention to football when there's a World Cup going on and even then I've got to ask Colin McG about the points system. And when is someone going to ban those horns? They're enough to put you off watching the games. Vuvuzelas they're called, I think. They're not even tuneful! I'd rather have Rod Stewart singing over a tannoid as the game went on... no, on second thoughts maybe that's going a bit too far. I'm sure even the Vuvuzelas are more tuneful than him.
Colin, Dougie and myself were watching in the living room of the McGarva house whilst Morgan, my niece, fanned us and fed us fruit as royalty, gave us a salon hair treatment and made us perform an unimpressive X Factor audition. At one point we all ended up singing 'Bind Us Together' in full voice. The neighbouring family through the wall were most probably tutting with disapproval, rolling their eyes and putting it all down to bible bashing.
Praying being something the England fans were probably all doing last night after Green's little manoeuvre with the ball. Dougie was telling me there was another goalie error earlier on today so maybe Green won't feel quite as bad now.
After England's disappointing draw last night, Ka and myself sat and watched the fantastic 'Up', Disney/Pixar's latest movie about the old guy that lifts his house into the air with an enormous bunch of helium balloons and travels to South America with the help of a young Wilderness explorer's GPS. A great movie that could never be called a 'kids movie' after watching it - though it certainly makes you feel like one, what with all the whimsical, exciting, colourful ideas. Along with the poignant, touching, life affirming moments this movie made for fantastic viewing and would have probably even cheered up an England footie fan - maybe even an Aussie one tonight!

No comments: