Tuesday 28 October 2008

A ransoms worth


Autumn and today the sky was as clear as a bell. The trees around us glinting yellows, browns and golds under the clear blue sky. With Autumn, however, comes the sharp drop in temperature, especially in Scotland as it's bloody freezing up here. We put some washing out this morning to dry in the sunshine and brought it in with icicles hanging from it. We are also desperately trying to refrain from switching the heating on in our wee flat as it costs so much. Unfortunately our flat has some ancient form of underfloor heating which is not at all easy on the electric bills. We always get a large late unwelcome Christmas gift from Scottish Power every January in the form of a fat bill so we're holding off for as long as we possibly can. I'm wearing three layers as I write.
On our day off today we done the monthly shop. Exciting way to spend your Tuesday holiday eh? Wandering around a supermarket looking for 2 for 1s, skillfully negotiating the aisles and the growling pensioners with your trolley and arguing over which passata to buy. Apparently Ka is inviting her sister round for dinner soon so we had to buy organic. I'm not one to begrudge accommodating other peoples likes and dislikes and usually this would be fine, but organic passata is £1.20 more than the usual brand we get?! £1.20! Okay, it's not a ransom's worth but still - it all adds up!
Talking of ransoms, we then had a trip to the cinema to see 'Taken' starring Liam Neeson. An exciting revenge thriller which sees Neeson in a hard man type role, running round the city of Paris, cracking,chopping, knifing and shooting all the bad guys involved in his daughter's kidnapping. She went to Paris as the first stop of a U2 european tour and gets kidnapped to be used in the sex traffic trade which Mr Neeson, as a former spy, has to throw himself into to rescue her. Neeson does well in the role whilst the film edges on over the top at times it was still a good, gripping thriller with some brilliant, sometimes surprisingly, shocking violence. Talking of surprising, I can't believe Adam is dead? Spooks is back with a bang. A fairly big bang which seen yet another main character written out. The Spooks writers keep doing it, but it does make it all the more exciting and, dare I say it, realistic.

4 comments:

Namnet said...

Our house underwent a heat-cladding (hope the term is all right, I am not sure about it:-) last year. Fortunately. We had a "normal" heating, but the bills weren´t nice either.
Now, I can air the rooms anytime I want without a fear of freezing to death afterwards.

I like Liam Neeson. I have to check that film out:-)

Miriam Vaswani said...

1.20 squid, you say?

Lovely photo.

E.Rae said...

I buy the organic passata in Morrisons and I'm sure it's not that dear.
Spooks was amazing. While I was watching I was thinking. "They always have a huge cliffhanger at the end of a series and then they all survive" and "I quite like that Adam, he was a bit of a twat last season but he could be good this time" and "he's also fairly easy on the eye" and then BANG he's dead. Fantastic!

Squirmy Popple said...

I've given in and turned on the heat, even though it's going to cost me a fortune. When I can see my breath in the flat, an extra jumper just isn't going to cut it.