Thursday 13 November 2008

Black and blues

A blue rose this time. Today I've spent the day painting. A new rose, this time in blues and blacks. It's going quite well and now has all the basic layers in place and in colour. It is another rose but the way I see it, every rose I have done in the past year or so has been an original in itself. Although the basic form is the same they all contain different shades, shapes and tones. Last week I completed another, very different, painting entitled 'Angel or demon'. A female angel but with a fiery elemental look about her which could give the idea of her form being a deception - the fiery look being at odds with the angelic image (like some women I've known!). I've yet to put it up on Reidnet's gallery.
Have been listening to Roisin Murphy's latest album whilst working. There are some great tracks on it including the brilliant discoesque You Know Me Better. Great to jive to around an easel!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Coincidence or not, Roisin means "rose".
And Miss Murphy with those green eyes and blonde hair looks like an angel for sure.
Synchronicity?

Michael Reid said...

Yep, Roisin is the irish rose. Synchronicity or just my painting deciding what I would listen to?

Miriam Vaswani said...

How much impact do you find the music you listen to has on your work? I tend to pick music that matches the mood of what I'm writing, but I have to be selective about volume or my mind wanders in a way that isn't very helpful. Lots of folk seem to go for the silence option.

Namnet said...

I also like Roisin Murphy.

And I browsed through your gallery and I really like your work.
I must say that the Lily grabbed me. Love the colours in the picture. Lilies are usually depict like someting angelic (with angelic colours, objects around, etc.), but you´ve turned it to be a bit darker. I love it.