Monday 30 March 2009

Riveting chili

A Monday away from the office. Lovely. Pretty productive too with a bacon sarny, a visit to the local DIY megastore, a trip to the local supermarket, a painted door, a game of hide 'n' seek with the niece, the cooking and eating of a fantastic chili con carne, a mini cupboard clearout, another episode of 'Heroes' (though that was once again disappointing), some internet camera shopping and now a quick write in the Journal. I wonder how the office is coping without me... pretty normally I would guess. though there won't be anyone to do the Slaters. That should pee one or two folk off a little but give Felix something enjoyable to do. Felix, the line manager, seems to enjoy handing out absent folks' work to others. I suspect he likes the look of annoyance on some peoples' faces when they get handed a five page advert to do because someone else is off either sunning themselves or being ill (or both with the second being used as an excuse for the first!).
Jeez, I'm off work for the week and what am I writing about in my Journal? Work! Then again, I suppose it is better that than writing about the now freshly coated kitchen door or the fantastic chili con carne I produced. Not exactly riveting stuff.
Remember that Irn-Bru ripp off? Rivets? It was just like Irn-Bru except even sweeter and even more disgusting to drink. I'm assuming it no longer exists, but I could be wrong. It may have disappeared off the supermarket shelves when I was working down south for those 3 and a half years... It was probably discontinued due to health and safety. The ridiculous amount of sugar warnings or something.
Anyway, where was I? Yes, the chili con carne is fast becoming a bit of a Michael Reid speciality. Today I used real chili peppers as well as chili powder. It gave it a good kick. A right good kicking actually - the kind you'd get after insulting someones mother except here it would be in good taste. Made even better with a sprinkling of grated cheese and some pitta breads picked up from the bargain bakery trolley which only cost me 20p for the six of them. 20p?! Can you believe it. The deals you find on those bargain bakery trolleys are great sometimes. Though sometimes you've got to wrestle your way into it. Elbowing the little old ladies out the way etc. Not today though! Made that visit to the supermarket worthwhile. In fact, it made the whole day worthwhile!

No comments: