Sunday 14 February 2010

Who needs Valentines?

Valentines Day. Again. Hate it. Especially this year as it has somehow become a Valentines Weekend?! Woke up yesterday morning to Edith on Radio 1 wishing us all a Happy Valentines Weekend. Give us a break, I thought, it 's bad enough we've got to put up with one day a year of forced romantic nonsense. I've nothing much against romantic nonsense but when it's forced upon you by the shops and birthday card corporations it becomes severely unromantic in my opinion. Ka gets flowers at least once a month anyway and I feel stubbornly against rushing out and buying flowers just because some card corporation or the posh lady in the M&S ads tells me to.
Ka got a nice purple Orchid this year. No roses. The Orchid is an effort to help her look after her very own plant life. She is always bemoaning her lack of plant caring skills so in an effort to address this I decided upon a nice Orchid for her Valentines present alongside the usual card. Unfortunately she found the Orchid early, on Friday night, in the shadows behind the cupboard door. A place I put it safe in the knowledge that she'd never for one second go in behind the cupboard door before Sunday. She did. Women. Typical.
I also put together a photo book for her on the Kodak Gallery website uploading various photographs from the past year and making a sort of year book in fetching red, linen hardback form. Ka loved it and I got the sense it made up for any lack of roses. Of course she also got breakfast in bed, consisting of a cheese Omelette and toast accompanied by a giant mug of coffee. Again, like the flowers, she get's an omelette in bed at least once a month too. Maybe I just spoil her or maybe I'm just a fantastic husband... I'd better stop now before I sound too smug with myself.
Who needs Valentines Day?

No comments: