Monday 28 June 2010

Out of the office

Well, after a blissful two weeks off it was back to work this morning. Back to the Monday morning faces. Faces struggling to look cheerful, happy or interested after their own blissful two days off, enjoying the Scottish sun (not the newspaper), more than likely a few glasses of beer and a Sunday of laughing at the english football team.
Finally growing a bit fed up of the footie, Ka and myself went to the flicks yesterday afternoon and seen Woody Allen's latest effort, 'Whatever Works' coming out of the cinema into the rain.
The rain! The long forgotten, wonderful rain. People were once more walking around glasgow with umbrellas, taking shelter under shop archways in their shorts, some stumbling around with twisted faces, eyes stinging as their facial suncream ran into their eyes with the raindrops. Yes, the clouds are back, just in time for going back to work so I was quite happy to spend the day in the office, cheerfully greeting folk on my way in as always and getting the afore mentioned grunts of greeting (if that).
My, usually cheerful, 'hello' as I walk down the office to my seat is always nice to keep going. To most it's the only time of the day I speak to them, something I'm quite glad of depending who it is and, I'm sure, something most people in the office are quite glad of.
It's always very boring though when someone asks you what you done with your two weeks off. No I didn't go abroad, no I never went away anywhere nice, and yes it was nice just to be out the office. Okay, okay, in other words I done nothing! Nothing, okay! Nothing! And I'd do it again I tell you! Hahahahahaha! (Jump out the window...)
Of course, that ain't strictly true, I got up to lots of things but things I'm not going to tell anyone at work about. Not because it could be damaging to my career or anything, just because they wouldn't be the slightest bit interested. Some of them were, it has to be said, impressively polite today by pretending to be, bless 'em. But why would they? And quite right, as soon as you start rhyming off some of the 'lots of things', they start moaning internally, chastising themselves for being polite and then drifting into dreamland, a glazed look coming over their eyes as they start wondering when their next tea break is. Recognising this, I kept it brief, cutting it down to the 'best of' moments, trying to make it all sound just as exciting as two weeks in the pirate infested waters of the Caribbean or a hand gliding trip over Europe. "Oh well, at least you weren't in here" they'd say. It may not have been the most exciting of holidays but it was certainly pretty nice just to get out the office.

No comments: