Wednesday 11 August 2010

Band of horses

I've just discovered Band of Horses, an American quintet from South Carolina whom Zane Lowe advised me to listen to.
"When did ye meet him then?" Kenny, my bro, asked when I told him the same line.
Needless to say, I didn't meet Zane Lowe, although he is one of the few Radio 1 DJs I still pay attention to. A few months ago I just happened to be listening to his show whilst driving home one Tuesday night and I sat up and took notice to a great track he played. Coincidentally this track was by the afore mentioned 'Horses'. I've only just got round to buying two of their albums and am really enjoying their rock. When I say 'rock' it's certainly not rock in the traditional sense - you wouldn't put it on at a pal's head banging party or anything (haven't been to one of them in ages - I think I was subtly elbowed away from that company once my hair started falling out). It's more soothing, melancholic rock, American Indie at it's best. Perhaps they are a bit like The Killer's without the 'pop' element, the bravado or the smarties. Certainly the shaving blades. A strange mix of Arcade Fire and Kings of Leon with a dash of - dare I say it - country. I don't know, I'm still listening and I quite like what I hear, so I'll keep listening!

No comments: