Sunday 11 January 2009

Always rock, never twist

Sunday night and it is still pi**ing it down. Yep, here in Glasgow it has been raining for over 48 hours. Wonderful stuff. The ducks must be having a great time. A pretty quiet weekend, probably due to the fact that we're skint after Christmas and New Year and now have to knuckle down and save for THE BIG DAY.
Talking of, THE BIG DAY, Ka and myself ventured into Glasgow yesterday to have a look at some wedding rings. Now I don't wear jewellery. I'm not a jewellery kind of guy so I found it all a bit awkward. Standing in the jewellers trying on rings is not something I'm used to. It will certainly be slightly odd wearing a ring on a finger from July onwards. It was strange enough trying on different rings in the jewellers in front of the scatty brained girl serving us. At one point the inevitable happened. I chose a nice silver, white gold with a single groove running through the middle. After sliding it on my ring finger I looked down at it deciding I quite liked it. After a short conversation with Ka and the jeweller and a few nods of approval I took hold of the ring with my right hand and gently pulled. I then pulled a little harder. Then I tugged. It was stuck. As the heat began to gather under my collar and I nudged, pulled and twisted at the ring things began to look a little desperate.
"Do you need a hand there?" the young jeweller asked. It was the fingers that were the problem though, not the hand.
"No, it's okay" I muttered through my teeth in a tight grimace. After another few moments of struggle I then started twisiting the ring round trying to make it work along the finger, as it spun round my finger skin, which the jeweller quickly admonished me for.
"Always rock the ring," she advised. "Never twist". So I slowly nudged the ring back and forth on my finger and, as if by magic, it eventually came free. Almost as if it had wanted to be free of me and find a more suitable bearer... Maybe that is why married men never bother taking their wedding ring off. It's actually nothing to do with loyalty or pride. It is simply because it's just too much like hard work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband isn't a jewellery wearer either, but seems to have got used to his ring. Mind you, his is slightly too big and we've had a couple of near misses where it's slid off his finger.

Actually I'm not that into jewellery myself and wouldn't normally be that fussed, but if he ever loses it he'll be in Big Trouble!

Scott Docherty said...

Thanks for commenting on mine Michael, and don't worry about Alan - it's just an act which flows from our 'funny man' 'straight man' set up, and he actually enjoys the whole idea of blogging.

Oh, and I never take my ring off, principally because it no longer comes off!

Michael Reid said...

It's okay, I wasn't really shocked and appalled!-)