Thursday 11 September 2008

Hell, it's good


Went to the East Kilbride Odeon for the first time in decades last night. For some reason I've been going to see movies in Hamilton and Glasgow for the past ten years. 'Star Wars -The Phantom Menace' was the last film I seen in East Kilbride and I think it left a horrible scar... Thankfully that has now just about healed, with time (lots of it). Anyway, we seen 'Hellboy 2 - The Golden Army' and it was fantastic. Surprisingly fantastic, in fact. Guillermo del Toro strikes gold once more. Brilliant effects, brilliant characters, brilliant scenes, just brilliance for pure imagination and creativity. Of course, some of the credit should go to the characters original comic creators, Mike Mignola, but Del Toro's graphic and visual style just completely bring it all to superb life, far exceeding anything done by Speilberg or Lucas. He is a great choice for bringing 'The Hobbit' to life after the vast success of 'The Lord of the Rings' movies and the great Peter Jackson. Indeed Hellboy 2 struck me as being immediately superior to not it's predecessor but also equal in sheer imaginative effects to Jackson's Rings trilogy. A brilliantly new horrible creature lurked around every corner and the script was riddled with some cracking one liners all the way through. My favourite fantasy/sci-fi film since, well, 'The Lord of the Rings'.
The mentioning of Star Wars reminded me of the programme on Channel 4, Sunday night. Another Justin Lee Collins reunited programme. Mr Collins, the big beardy one from the Friday Night Project, runs about trying to reunite actors from old tv shows or films and this time, yes, you guessed right, it's Star Wars. Got to see that. I wonder if he'll get mistaken for Chewbacca's brother? If anything, it'll be interesting to see how many times Harrison Ford tells Justin to F off!

2 comments:

Namnet said...

I love the first Hellboy and cannot wait to see The Golden Army:-) And I am so glad that del Toro will direct The Hobit. I cannot imagine anybody else to do so. Well, I do, but it would be disaster then:-) Have you seen Faun´s Labyrinth? Del Toro´s imagination is endless.

Michael Reid said...

Over here, it's Pan's Labyrinth and I did miss it in the cinema. Will have to catch it on DVD though as it looked pretty good. Very dark...