Friday 26 September 2008

Missing something

Seen Tropic Thunder today and was quite disappointed. It was enjoyable, yes, and funny at times, of course, but overall not worth the hype and fantabulous reviews it has been getting from some. Great cast, with Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Junior, Steve Coogan, Nick Nolte and Tom Cruise and all very good but was hardly laugh out loud for me... Tom Cruise plays a belter and Robert Downey Junior’s Kirk Lazarus is certainly one of the best things about the movie, and one of the strangest, funniest things of any recent comedy but the rest is as patchy as most of Ben Stiller's supposed comedies. There were some great lines though and great scenes but patchy none the less. We did see a trailer for 'Quantum of Solace' before it though which looks pretty cool. Maybe I just didn't get Tropic Thunder. Maybe I just need to watch it again, I certainly missed some of what Downey Junior was saying in his strange voice.
Am I the only person in this world that dislikes Nickelback? I suspect I'm missing something there as well. I hate that Rockstar song so much that every time I hear it on that DFS sofa advert I have to walk out the room. I can't stand the sight of those old people miming to it whilst dancing and cavorting around DFS' supposedly fantastic sofa designs. Bring back Martin kemp for gawds sake! He was cheesy, yes, but safe. Nickelback are a horrendously formulaic 'rock' rip off with utter nonsense for lyrics. Purely, distinctly, average and always have been. Okay, I've not heard the latest album, All the Right Reasons, in it's entirety but the new album's singles never being off the radio and now on furniture adverts is driving me to dislike the album before I've even heard it.
Started watching Russell Brand's stand up comedy there on 4 but got bored and came through to my trusty Mac. Missing something again...

1 comment:

andrea said...

Yeah -- I hate Nickelback, too, and they're a local band. I heard a very eclectic musician being interviewed once (can't remember who) and when asked about success/branding said, "If I could do it I'd be like Nickelback and just write/record the same song over and over again but I'd get bored."