Friday 19 September 2008

Wild horses

Friday at last, once again. September is whizzing by, as is 2008. Scone day and Margaret is huffing and puffing because I forgot to buy jam on my way into work. It's not even my turn for the scone buying, how it is suddenly down to me to purchase the jam I don't know.
Spotted this photo on a news website which reminded me that it was approximately a year ago that Ka and myself went to check out the Falkirk Wheel,the modern boat lift connecting Glasgow and Edinburgh via the Union, Forth and Clyde Canals. Though the large barge lift was impressive what I really liked were the 3 metre high sculptures on the reservoir. Across from the Wheel, on the furthest side of the canal, outside the visitor centre, were two horse heads created by the Scottish sculptor Andy Scott. These Water Horses (or Kelpies) were to be part of a Lottery funded initiative built as sculptures for the Canal surrounding the Falkirk Wheel. The Falkirk Helix Project. In July of this year they got the go ahead and construction on the the site and it's 35m high inhabitants has begun. Former Glasgow School of Art student, Andy Scott's great steel and bronze scupltures are dotted at various points over the country now, the most famous for me being the Clydesdale horse on the M8 motorway. The Kelpies will not be finished until 2010 though as Scott has still to find a workshop big enough to make them.
Kind of like my family tree work at the moment. It just seems to get bigger and bigger. I spent yesterday scanning old photographs from the Pollock vaults. It's really interesting seeing all these faces from the past which in strange ways look vaguely familiar. Before my scanning though I plucked up the courage to get a haircut. This process gets scarier every time as I seem to look balder with every visit. The small talk with the female barbers does not really help disguise my internal screams and looks of horror as I glare into the mirror at the end of the ordeal. One thing's for sure these days, I'm certainly not the fairest of them all. Cheryl will be tomorrow, however, as she marries Stuart. Cheryl, a good friend of Ka's, was married in Gretna Green on Thursday and the reception/party is tomorrow night. Congratulations and best wishes to Cheryl and Stuart!

1 comment:

Namnet said...

I also need a haircut. My hairdresser has moved away so I have to find somebody else. I am always afraid of having my hair cut by somebody new. My problem is a bit different than yours - I have very thick curly hair and to cut them and straighten them right could be a problem.
And I always want to visit Gretna Green:-)